Support Your Child’s Learning
How can you best support your child’s learning?
Here are our top tips:
- Demonstrate a positive attitude about education to your child
- Make the everyday a teachable moment – think of how often you use maths, reading and science concepts every day. It’s there in the clouds, in the dinner bowl, in the signs, in the environment around you. Ask your children questions, answer theirs, involve them in cooking, shopping and solving problems.
- Monitor your child’s television, video game, and Internet use
- Reading to your child, reading with your child and reading by your child
- Language experience – grow your child’s vocabulary through rich experiences and lots of talking
- Assist your child in learning their basic facts and times tables, as these are the foundation of maths strategies
- Learning through play, taking turns, coping with winning and losing, setting goals
- Focus on progress and growth not results